The library has partnered with the Mahoning Valley Astronomical Society to maintain and conduct training on the use of the telescopes.
You can find out how a telescope works here.
You can find some advice for beginning skywatchers here.
Skymaps are available here.
Telescope Borrowing Policy:
- The telescopes may only be checked out to Columbiana Public Library Patrons who are 18 years of age, or older.
- The telescopes may only be checked out to patrons who have a public (rather than “new”) status. This means the patron has had a card for more than two months.
- The telescopes will circulate for two weeks, and may be renewed once, if there isn’t a waiting list.
- The overdue fine for the telescope is $5.00 per day. The maximum fine is $25.00.
- The patron is responsible for reading the instructional manual for the telescope’s proper care and use.
- The patron will pay the replacement cost if the telescope is lost or damaged beyond repair.
- If the telescope is returned damaged, the patron will be charged a fee based on the cost of repairs.
- The borrow is responsible for all items included in the accessory bag. If any of these items are damaged or lost, the borrower will pay a replacement free.
- The patron agrees to never look directly at the sun through the telescope or its finder scope, even for a moment. It is understood that permanent eye damaged could result. Even pointing the telescope at the sun could result in telescope parts melting.
- The Columbiana Public Library will not be held liable for any injuries incurred as a result of telescope use.